Valerio Gemmetto's home page
Tel: +31 71 527 5527
Lorentz Institute for Theoretical Physics
Leiden Institute of Physics
University of Leiden
P.O. Box 9506, NL-2300 RA
Niels Bohrweg 2
NL-2333 CA Leiden
I was born in Alba (Italy) and I grew up in Canale (Italy, as well). After attending the high school Liceo Scientifico L. Cocito in Alba (2008), I gained a Bachelor Degree in Physics at University of Turin (2011). Afterwards, I graduated in Physics of Complex Systems (2013), collaborating with ISI Foundation during my Master project, supervised by Dr. Ciro Cattuto and Dr. Alain Barrat.
In november 2013 I moved to Leiden (the Netherlands), where I started my PhD in the Econophysics and Network Theory group led by Dr. Diego Garlaschelli.
My research focuses on complex networks. In particular, I am interested in multi-layer complex networks, i.e. systems composed by nodes connected by different kinds of links. So far, I have been working on economic (International Trade Network) and transportation systems (European airport Network).
I am also involved in the study of networks of scientific publications, in collaboration with the ScienceWISE platform.
The research is performed within the european Multiplex project (Foundational Research on multilevel complex networks and systems).
In the past, I have also dealt with epidemic models on human contact networks and mitigation strategies of airborne infectious diseases, in collaboration with the SocioPatterns project.
Here, you can find a short movie showing which kind of data I used (credits to A. Barrat and A. Panisson).
- Valerio Gemmetto, Alain Barrat, Ciro Cattuto (2014) Mitigation of infectious disease at school: targeted class closure vs school closure, BMC Infectious Diseases 14:695
- Valerio Gemmetto, Diego Garlaschelli (2015) Multiplexity versus correlation: the role of local constraints in real multiplexes, Scientific Reports 5: 9120
- Vasyl Palchykov, Valerio Gemmetto, Alexey Boyarsky, Diego Garlaschelli (2016) Ground truth? Concept-based communities versus the external classification of physics manuscripts, EPJ Data Science 5: 28
- Valerio Gemmetto, Tiziano Squartini, Francesco Picciolo, Franco Ruzzenenti, Diego Garlaschelli (2016) Multiplexity and multireciprocity in directed multiplexes , Phys. Rev. E 94, 042316
- Asep Maulana, Valerio Gemmetto, Diego Garlaschelli, Iryna Yevesyeva, Michael Emmerich (2016) Modularities maximization in multiplex network analysis using Many-Objective Optimization , in IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI)
- Andrea Martini, Artem Lutov, Valerio Gemmetto, Andrii Magalich, Alessio Cardillo, Alex Constantin, Vasyl Palchykov, Mourad Khayati, Philippe Cudré-Mauroux, Alexey Boyarsky, Oleg Ruchayskiy, Diego Garlaschelli, Paolo De Los Rios, Karl Aberer (2017) ScienceWISE: Topic Modeling over Scientific Literature Networks, arXiv preprint arXiv:1612.07636
- European Conference on Complex Systems (ECCS14), Lucca (Italy), September 2014
- ECCS14 satellite "Complexity of Interacting Networks and Systems", Lucca (Italy), September 2014
- International Conference on Network science (NetSci2015), Zaragoza (Spain), June 2015
- Challenges in Data Science: a complex systems perspective, Torino (Italy), October 2015
- Conference on Complex Systems, Amsterdam (Netherlands), September 2016
- International Conference on Network science (NetSciX2017), Tel Aviv (Israel), January 2017
Since 2014, I am teaching assistant of the Statistical Physics course (Master Degree), taught by Dr. Vincenzo Vitelli.